We all want our skin to be clear with a youthful glow. As we age, we often find skin changes subtly so we have to take care of it a little differently. What can we do? Try these tips to keep your skin in the best shape it can be!
- Determine your skin type RIGHT NOW(not how it was last Fall or 5 years ago) and use the products made specifically for your skin type. Here’s a Neal’s Yard Remedies skincare chart that I send my customers to.
- Use your sunscreen but only mineral ones, no chemicals like oxybenzone! I’m all about being outside and getting fresh air and exercise but sunscreen and hats can prevent burning which is a big no-no for skin.
- Start using serums or oils. I’ve written about them before and consider them a staple in my beauty routine. You can read more about them here I highly recommend serums and oils for most women over 25 and especially over 40 when skin loses elasticity and that youthful glow.
- Clean makeup brushes regularly so they don’t harbor bacteria you put back onto your face. Every week or 2 give them a rinse with water and a gentle facial cleanser and let dry. Toss them when they look bad. Sponges should be cleaned and then replaced often.
- Make beauty sleep a MUST. Hit the pillow early enough for at least 7 hours of restful sleep. Try mediation apps or just some quiet time before bed. There are also products specifically made to work with skin’s night time regenerating routines like one of my favorites Beauty Sleep Concentrate!
- Exfoliate! I talk about this all the time and recommend it for all skin types. Using a gentle exfoliator made for faces( Rose and Palmarosa are my faves), once or twice a week will slough off dry skin cells, help skin absorb creams better and just give you more of a fresh skin, glowing look! The same for body especially in Spring and Summer. Use a body scrub twice a week and pay attention to knees and elbows.
- Think about what you eat. Healthy fats like olive oil and avocado are supposed to be very good for skin. Vitamin C is great for skin ( think broccoli and oranges!) Foods with lycopene like tomatoes and watermelon are also fantastic for skin.
- Speaking of watermelon, we need enough water in our diets to keep skin plump and healthy looking. That water , besides drinking, can come from water rich foods like watermelon also. Or try a summer mint or chamomile tea too.
- Remember that skin has a cycle and you often have to use a new product 3 months to see the full results. Which is why you see the small print that usually say things like ” 85% of women saw less wrinkles- after 90 days” etc.
- Go organic. This is a subject I LOVE to talk about. Why use chemicals when there are safer, effective choices on the market? One of my favorite lines NYR makes is the Frankincense and if you even google Frankincense you can read dozens of skin enhancing, wrinkle fighting reasons to use it! Another line I love is the rose and wild rose, both of which give glow and have ingredients that nurture and pamper skin gently and effectively! Acne prone skin may want to try palmarosa which works without chemicals and gets great feedback!
- Never go to sleep with your makeup on! Use a gentle makeup remover, wash, tone and moisturize each night. In a pinch, facial wipes can remove makeup.
- Keep the things around you clean too. Wash your pillowcases weekly. Wipe down your phone with alcohol. Wash your hands often. Anytime you touch your face, you don’t want to be touching it with germs do you? Not me!